Saturday, October 30, 2010

I love Pancake Mix!

Pancake mix is the busy girls best friend. I just got out of the bed, dressed, (husband made my coffee..I'm keeping him!) and made gourmet pancakes in 30 minutes. Most days we try to eat very healthy. I started following the low glycemic eating style 5 yrs ago. It is the only "diet" I have ever been able to follow. So most of what I cook is whole grain, fruits, veggies, and lean meat. My halo is tarnished though because when I want something from an original family recipe I make it. I try to limit this behavior to once every few months. Most recipes can be "low-glycemic" corrected. I refuse to be one of those who never keeps white flour..it's a neccesary ingredient and when used in small amouts with whole wheat flour it can help a recipe.

This morning I used Krusteaz Wheat & Honey Pancake Mix. Target Superstores and many grocery stores carry it. It has a great fiber count and is quick and easy. I have tried most of the whole grain mixes and this one has the least after taste. The box calls for only water to make the original pancakes, but you can really do anything you want with this mix. Today we had Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes with Dark Chocolate Chips. If your shooting for high fiber this is your power pancake!!!

Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Whole Wheat Pancakes
1/4c. orange juice or milk
1/1/4 c. canned pumpkin (unsweetened)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp orange peel or zest
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1-2 T. of sugar or sugar substitue
Mix well and add to
2c. whole wheat complete pancake mix
add water to achieve consistency you like , thinner makes thinner pancakes.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips if desired
Cook at medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side
Serve with butter or whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. That recipe sounds delicious. I am glad that you shared it. I am going to try that. Perfect for the Autumn breakfasts or brunches. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete