Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spicey Mama's Texas Chili

Years ago after leaving Texas I began the journey of creating chili perfection. When you live in the Chili capital of the world, you just assume that all chili is Texas style. In my mind's eye I see a steaming bowl of deep red, full flavored and spicy chili. Real Texas chili would not have beans or be any color other than a deeply robust red.

I have learned that people call lots of things chili and they all taste good. I will say I have had some great soups & stews that are made with the same spices but they aren't chili! I thought I had found the ultimate Texas chili at a chain restaurant that bears the Texas name...but after dipping my spoon in with excitement... I pulled out a bean! I will admit I do still order chili there because everything else is perfect and worth over looking the innocent bean.

This is my recipe for Texas Red Chili, if you add beans, please don't tell me! I might have to send out a Chili Intervention team to your house.

Spicey Mama’s Texas Red Chili

2 lbs of ground beef or turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 small jalapeƱo, chopped
1 Anaheim pepper, chopped
1 Poblano pepper, chopped
1 T. cilantro, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tsp. Canola oil
1 large can (28oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (14.5oz.) tomato sauce, add a 2nd can if you like thinner chili
½ package Spicey Mama’s Texas Chili Seasoning or your favorite chili mix
Salt to taste


May use 1/2 of each pepper for a milder chili. When you cook or roast peppers they loose some of their heat. I like to roast mine in the oven before using, this gives a great deep flavorful taste to your chili.

Chop onions, peppers, cilantro & garlic
Heat oil in large heavy dutch oven over med-high heat.
Cook onions and peppers in oil for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cilantro and cook for about a minute stirring well to prevent garlic from over cooking.

Add meat to the pepper/onion mix and sprinkle the Spicey Mama’s over the meat.Continue to stir gently while meat is browning.

Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce to meat/pepper mix and stir gently to prevent breaking up the meat to finely.

Taste and add salt or more seasoning. Will get spicier as it cooks but you can adjust the needed heat with more of the seasoning mix. If your using the Spicey Mama's Chili Seasoning from our website you may need to add salt, but if you use a grocery store product be sure & taste it before adding more.

Cook on low heat for about an hour, and then simmer very low until ready to serve.

Serve it in bowls with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, minced red onions and if you like them..add a few pickled jalapeƱos to the top!


Serves 4-6
Just double everything if you double the meat!

Visit my website @ http://www.newsouthernpantry.com if you would like to use the Spicey Mama's Texas Chili Seasoning in this recipe.
Spicey Mama's has no salt or sugar and it is free of gluten, MSG & preservatives. We use no fillers or artificial products in our all natural products.

No comments:

Post a Comment