Monday, June 20, 2011

"If You Can't Stand The Heat" A New Orleans Firefighters Cookbook

Some of the best cooks I know should be called chefs just by virtue of experience and the quality of their food. I started my journey in this food world working under a cook who should have been handed a honorary culinary degree. Usually these degrees are conferred as a way of honoring a distinguished contribution to a specific field, or to society in general. My mentor, Miss Pearl loved to cook, produced great food, & touched the center of people's being..their souls. If this is the definition of Honorary Chef then Robert Medina has earned the title "Firehouse Chef"

There is a hidden secret in the firehouses around the country, the great food made by those who serve & protect us 24 hours a day! The meals are big, hearty & filling. Such incredible dishes could be found on a menu at your favorite restaurant, but are being cooked while waiting for the next fire alarm to sound. We think we have trouble cooking with kids & dogs running through the house!

http://youtu.be/a7WxWPq24Yw



It is my great pleasure to be reviewing "If You Can't Stand The Heat" A New Orleans Firefighters Cookbook. This cookbook is written by Robert Medina, a retired firefighter for the New Orleans fire department. He brings us the delicious New Orleans fare, Italian, Mexican, & Thai, but also just down home Southern cooking. This book speaks to my heart and reminds me of why we Southerners love to feed those around us...cause we love cooking & cooking right!

I will be cooking the Chicken & Andouille Jambalaya first, and then when I find artichokes that look edible, I am making the Stuffed Artichokes. I can't wait to cook my way through this book! Oh & the Apple Bread Pudding.....it may have been sent directly from Heaven!

Thanks Bob for trusting me to review your cookbook & also for writing it so well. It not only has fabulous recipes but is a great read to boot! For everyone looking for this cookbook to add to your collection, it will be released on July 12th 2011.
Can be pre-ordered at Barnes & Nobles online now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment