Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolutions from a Southern perspective

I don't make New Year's resolutions. I don't keep New Year's resolutions. I am consistent in most things and very obsessive about many things. I'm eating healthy and exercising every January till March or April. Then Easter comes and I fall to my knees at the site of chocolate Easter eggs and jelly beans. I try to do my best to get back on track but then along comes the Memorial Day picnic and it would be wrong to not celebrate. I always start off with a healthy menu then someone says..."but we have to have..." and then we slide off into the depths of potato salads and baked beans for the rest of the summer. August, September and October are easy months to stay on the straight and narrow until Halloween candy has to be bought for the little ones...then it's a straight sugar slide into Christmas!

Thinking about this yesterday as I made the plans for New Year's Day menu. I made the choice to think healthy...well at least healthier. We are having Spicey Mama's Texas Chili with cornbread muffins, Texas Caviar dip and Blueberry Salad. My husand has requested that I make Fried Black-eyed Peas. I have never fried a black-eyed pea but I will tomorrow. We are all about the Rose Bowl parade and have always watched it together since we were married 33 years ago. This year I'm looking forward to the Rose Bowl game as well becaue the Texas Christian University Hornfrogs will be playing.

Whatever your plans are for tonight and tomorrow, be safe and enjoy. Make wonderful food to share together but mostly just make memories that last a lifetime! Happy New Year's from New Southern Pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment