Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Southern Orange Slice Bread




Southerners feel passionate about their food because it connects us to people and brings back wonderful memories. When I was a child my best friend's mom made these wonderful orange slice cookies. I loved those cookies and they remind me of her when I taste them. I went in search of a recipe that would combine those wonderful sticky orange slices with a sweet bread. After combining several recipes this is what we came up with. Having made it quite a few times now this is the final and well tested recipe. It is wonderful warm out of the oven, but I also like it cold too!...Not a recipe I would use year round because it has lots of calories and I can't stop eating it! Just make sure you have family or friends to help you devour this bread. I had a loaf that cooked to long and it was really dry so being the frugal person I am...I made french toast out of it!! I think if I did that again I would cut it into "french toast sticks" and chill it really well before dipping in egg mixture. Be sure to cut the orange slices into small pieces after freezing them, makes it lots easier and less messy. I use kitchen shears instead of a knife and be sure and flour the cut candies well before adding to the recipe.

Southern Orange Slice Bread
2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter , at room temperature
3 cups flour
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 cup of coconut
2 cups of chopped nuts of your choice, we use pecans
8oz. chopped dates, can substitue 1 cup of raisins or any dried fruit
8oz. bag orange slice candies, freeze until ready to cut
1/2 cup flour for dusting orange slices

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
*If using dark metal pans, decrease oven temperature to 275 degrees

Bake for 80-90 minutes
Makes 2 8x4" loaves

In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and the soft butter until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each egg.
In a medium bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking soda
Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar, alternating with the buttermilk.
Add vanilla, orange zest, coconut, chopped nuts and dates mixing well.
In a medium size bowl place 1/2 cup flour
Using kitchen shears, cut the frozen orange slices into small bite size pieces. Place in bowl with the flour and toss well to coat each piece.
Mix floured candies into the batter by hand and pour into 2 greased 8x4 in
loaf pans.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
This bread freezes very well. I wrap in foil after cooled and then place in gallon size freezer bags.

I combined several bread and cookie recipes for this , but I would like to give credit for the basic recipe to KISS Recipes website. Neat places for sharing family recipes. KISS stands for Keep It Simple Silly. Fun easy recipes with some old favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment