Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Common Grace"

One of my greatest pleasures is beautiful dishes & accessories for my home. Being a Southern girl, we were taught from childhood to treasure the things of the past. We loved vintage when it wasn't cool or collectible. The love came from the history it brought and the memories of those who loved the items before. Hand me a crystal punch cup and I will think it's lovely, but also that it is only useful for one thing..punch. Tell me it was my Great-Great Grandmother's set & it turns into magic.

I have been lucky enough to inherit quite a few (okay my husband would say way to many) sets of china, silver, stemware & serving pieces from our grandmothers. I would never part with those,and someone one day will have to take them and love them.

Now my dilemia is I have one son who at this time is not married. I have to find a wife for him. Maybe I will go to the antique shops and watch for a young girl who is hanging around the crystal counter!

I have an antique & vintage business that really helps me in my addiction. I get the thrill of the hunt & if I can let go of it, I sell it so I can buy more. Maybe it's a Hoarders meets The Apprentice, but I'm happy and it supports my need to go junking! 


When I was searching for a name I kept falling back on "Graceful". That was not exactly what I wanted to say, because somedays I feel less than graceful! The one thing women everywhere share is the need to feel beautiful. Even if some don't know that is what they are looking for, we all share a common grace...we are female. So the name "Common Grace" seemed to fit my image of all women regardless of who they may be.

Having lived in several different regions of the country, I know that all women love beautiful things and whether crystal or pottery, ( I have collections of both) it is what identifies them. The best feeling in the world is when you finally "find yourself." Never knew what that meant when I was young and always worried that I would never develop my own style. When I finally found myself doing what I wanted without worrying about what someone else thought, I realized I was there!


Southern Ladies Club was a gift to my sister when she turned 40 last year. I have enjoyed sharing the first week of that with you. She was not so excited that I reminded her everyday on Facebook that she was 40!
Day 6- Southern Ladies Club insiders tip.
Things must match or compliment each other or we feel somwhat overwhelmed. Whether it be clothes, linens, or accents for our home, we tend to feel incomplete if they aren't coordinated.
Those that don't understand this are a very sad, mismatched lot that we would graciously help with the shopping if they ask.
 Never let anyone tell you this is a form of neurosis! We happily dance in our own minds when everything is coordianted!
Day 7-Southern Ladies Club-insiders tip -Be very patient with people not raised in the South. They don't understand why you do what you do either.
Be aware that sometimes they may speak slowly to you as if you were a child.
We understand that the beauty of the South came from the hearts & minds of women and we feel the need to spread that knowledge to others.

A true lady is always gracious to others even if they ask you; 
“ Are we having paper or plastic at this wedding reception?”
to which you sweetly reply while holding back a screech..."Crystal Sweetheart, Crystal!"

No comments:

Post a Comment