Monday, January 10, 2011

New Years Resolutions ....that can last a lifetime

Resolve to Change #1
"Give me the whole grain & nothing but the whole grain!"

As an RN I know what to do but don't always do it. I found myself in a situation several years ago that changed my life. I was 45 years old, had no energy,and had lost all desire to change. I had been diagnosed with Diabetes in 1991 as well as Systemic Lupus, Thyroid disease and Hypertension. I had developed chronic pain and depression to add to these other lovely problems. My family tend to be "big boned" as we say in the south but that's just a nice way of saying FAT! I had struggled with my weight since childhood and was losing the battle in the worst way. When I looked at how I cooked I didn't see a problem at first, but after being honest I saw monsters I didn't want to acknowledge. I just played Scarlett and said" I'll that about that tomorrow"

The first problem was I didn't cook at home more than 50% of the time. The second problem was I made nothing from scratch anymore. Everything I had was a mix or boxed product. I have always been a great cook but the health issues slowly became the excuse for cooking quick foods or going out to eat. I knew that I had to make a change if I wanted to feel better. This was about the time the glycemic index diet became all the rage. I studied everything I could get my hands on and slowly began putting these principles in place. After a month of eating whole grains instead of white refined grain, I noticed an increase in energy and less pain all over. So I made up my mind that I would try this way of eating to see if this was a fluke. It was not a fluke.

It takes more than just changing from white flour to whole wheat flour, you have to commit yourself to never wanting to be who you see in the mirror right now. I went slowly with the changes, but everytime I changed something and felt better I picked up the pace. In 3 months I was well on my way to being 20 lbs lighter and feeling much better.

Diabetes and other diseases are affected by what we put into our bodies. If we have a way of controlling this then it seems like we would, but we have a free will. I don't always make the right choice but do try to make more right than wrong. I made up my mind then that I wouldn't always be perfect..but I would be healthy. I joined the YMCA and started water aerobics the next week. The more I move and exercise the better I feel...huh?? that's what the Doctor said would happen! Just don't tell him I said he was right.

http://www.gidiet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment