Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Southern Ladies, Cooking, & Football

As little girls in the South, we watched our Mom's work in the kitchen while everyone else was resting in the Living room. I believe it was a woman who came up with the open floor plan that brought the kitchen and living area together. Although I do enjoy doing all the cooking (probably because I don't think anyone else can do it as well as I can...another tip for another day!) I want everyone to stay in the kitchen and visit with me.

I am the oldest of three girls and was an only child for 10 years. I learned to love football because my Dad wanted someone to watch with him and Mom wasn't crazy about it. Learning quickly that if I left the table to go watch football with Dad, Mom was glad she didn't have to and I got out of washing dishes.

Fast forward 30 something years..I'm the one getting left in the kitchen. Payback always comes, but I have figured out a plan to get me out of the kitchen and on the couch for kickoff or the first pitch of spring baseball. Being from the south, we can't even watch a game without it being an event so...planning is very important.

I can make guacamole in about 10 minutes and it's healthy. I can make a pot of chili the day before and it can warm in the crockpot till game time. The one thing that I can't work out is the grilling during the game without missing the live action dilemia. Don't tell me to DVR the game, that's just not right! So as any sweet Texas girl, I have figured this one out to my benefit...I have the best griller in the world do it for me.

My husband is an incredible man who can do so many things well, but he can make a hockey puck out of a burger in a flash. He smokes the most incredible brisket & pork in the world so I knew he was teachable. I bought him a timer and told him for burgers never longer than 4 minutes each side at high direct heat. After burger class he is now a pro at that too!  And quess who is sitting on the couch while the self-proclaimed Grilling King cooks during the game?

Day 3 -Southern Ladies Club , over 40 insider's tip- It's okay to love football or any sport as much as the guys! It does not make one less of a lady by any means. And to make it easier, always tell him that his cookout's are the best so you don't miss the game!


Southwest Squealer Burgers

1 lb 85% ground beef
1/2 lb Jimmy Dean hot pork sausage
1/4 c Real Bacon bits by Hormel
1 T dried onions
 1 T New Southern Pantry Chili Blend or your favorite chili seasoning

Salt if you need it!

Mix together and form patties to desired size.
Makes about 6 large and 8 medium burgers.
Cook at direct high on the grill for 4-5 minutes on each side depending on doneness desired. We top with grilled onions and candied jalapenos.



 Candied Jalapenos

3 Jalapenos
1 Tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon sugar

 Wash, de-vein & remove the seeds from 3 medium jalapenos. Slice into small rings and set aside.
In a medium skillet heat olive or canola oil & add  butter.
Heat on low until butter is melted then add the sliced jalapeno peppers.
Cook until peppers begin to soften,stirring as they cook, about 3 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and stir well, cook at low heat while stirring, about 3-4 more minutes until sugar begins to candy on peppers.





No comments:

Post a Comment