Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Welcome Back to the Southern Ladies club

Southern girls are taught from adolescents that one of our greatest  joys in life is welcoming people into our homes. Those lessons showed us that our life is meant to be a blessing to others as well as a joy to ourselves. Most Southern women who love to cook learned this at an early age, probably from a Mom, Grandmother, Aunt or friend.




My Grandparents survived the Great Depression and lived through World War I & II. Times were hard and my grandmothers knew how to make a dollar stretch and never wasted anything. Any grace & hospitality that I exhibit certainly comes from those two beautiful ladies, as well as from my Mother.  My Mom taught me if you are going to do it, do it up right!

One thing we all seem to forget is the value of these ideas that we are given by family friends. Regardless of your own life experiences, when we live to make others lives better, we make our own richer and more blessed. Life changes and new ways of doing things make life easier! I bet my grandmothers would have used my shortcut hints and smiled when they fooled everyone!

This is my favorite brand of frozen dough.
I like it because they offer White or they have a 100% Whole Wheat also.

                                                                                                                                                      
Day 2: It is perfectly acceptable to use those new frozen loaves of dough in place of homemade dough. This of course will require the use of some other "additions" to the dough to make it your own creation. A true Southern Lady would never just plop the dough in and bake it! The choice of most in the South is butter infused with garlic and herbs of some kind. We would never shy away from cheese and a little bacon never hurts!  Now baking purists would be right to say it's not homemade, but if you have to pick between making it from scratch or finishing your makeup....that's a no-brainer!

If you need ideas or more information, check out Rhodes Rolls website. They are my favorite frozen dough company and I will admit it's all I use to make fresh bread. Here's a link to their website  http://www.rhodesbread.com/

 There is nothing like the smell of baking bread to make company feel welcome. That's what hospitality means regardless of where you call home!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment