Thursday, November 18, 2010

7 Days of Cooking

Okay, I have 7 days to cook everything for Thanksgiving. Timing on some of these dishes is so important, but if it has to be warmed up it's like eating the leftovers that are so good on Friday after Thanksgiving. I started the day off with baking 18 Turkey Sugar Cookies which my nephew requested. When I asked him what he wanted me to make for him..he said white cookies with orange icing. If everything was this easy in life we would be so much happier and less stressed! But since I am a woman and I see Holidays different than the male gender I will be making much more than that flock of turkeys cooling on my counter.

Our favorite sugar cookie recipe comes from a sweet lady who we always called Nanny. She was the grandmother of family friends but we adopted her as our own. Nanny always had a smile on her face and the softest voice ever. Her sugar cookies are renowned and the only recipe our family ever makes. Nanny was my son's first Sunday School teacher and this summer at 25 yrs old he made her cookies for another group of kids...time rolls on. She is no longer with us but her legacy of Southern cooking lives on !

Nanny's Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream sugars, shortening, vanilla and egg. Mix together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Stir with spoon until mixed together. Flour surface and roll out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Dip cookie cutter in flour and cut dough in desired shapes.
Bake for 7-8 minutes. Cool on wire rack, can be iced when cool.
Makes approx. 4 dozen cookies depending on shapes and size.

Now I think after reading that recipe again I may have to go make more cookies...Of course first I have to go get a new cookie cutter from the coolest store...Any excuse to by more kitchen items works for me!! If you try this recipe please post a comment and let me know how you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment