Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I admit I have a cookbook addiction...

I love cookbooks. I can't seem to let them leave my home once they enter the doors. I have them everywhere and will never use recipes from some of them. Let's just say I give some away, what is the worst thing that can happen? The first thing that comes to mind is that I will feel sad, then the second thing I think is what if the next recipe I search for is in one of these and the third thing I think is....I need help! Do they have Interventions for foodies?

I am drawn to regional cookbooks when traveling. They are my favorite thing to take back home with me. My husbands loves the hats and t-shirts, just give me my recipes and I'm happy. My favorite's list changes from time to time but right now it's old family or community & church cookbooks. I have one from the church we attended when we lived in Texas and it is my workhorse for holidays with my family. We all have such precious memories of the "grandmothers" of the church and their wonderful sweets!

Being a displaced Texan...I have a dozen cookbooks with Texas in the title. My very favorite is The Tex-Mex Cookbook by Robb Walsh. It not only contains great recipes that are genuie Tex-Mex, but also lots of history and information. My very favorite recipe in this cookbook is Ninfa's red and green sauce. It is so Texas to me and that makes me happy!! The most unusual Texas cookbook I have is Baytown Texas Aggies Cookbook. One of my favorite recipe from that one is Texas Caviar which I will share with you...everyone needs to be a little Texan!! Happy Thanksgiving

Texas Caviar
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, finely diced (choose a firm one)
1 can sliced black olives, rinsed and drained
1/2 red onion chopped
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
1 T lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together, Toss with seasonings and lime or lemon juice. Cover and let chill for 1 hr. if possible
May sprinkle grated Pepper Jack cheese on top when ready to serve if desired.
Serve with tortilla chips or crackers

Wow,that made me hungry so now I have to go to the store and make one more thing for Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment